Supply chain investment
The dairy value chain is highly interdependent.
- For farmers to make profits, they need processors to buy their milk, process it and sell it
- For processors to make profits, they need access to sustainable milk supplies
- Farmers and processors need strong domestic and international markets, industry capability, innovation and community acceptance of their processes.
As such, a key role for Dairy Australia is facilitating profitable partnerships and linkages across the supply chain, and fostering collaboration across the industry.
A significant proportion of levy investment funds (around 45%) go directly toward improving farm profitability. Pre farm-gate investments are in the key areas of:
- Feed-base development
- Animal performance
- Sustainable resource management
- Farm business management
- Vocational education and training
- Regional Development Programs
A sustainable dairy industry needs product innovation, safe production processes, growing markets and recognition of the nutritional value of dairy. Post farm-gate investments are in the key areas of:
- Manufacturing aligned R&D
- Bioscience technologies
- Health and nutrition policy and regulation
- International market development
- Trade policy reform
- Secure market access
- Sustainable dairy production systems
- Dairy Marketing