Who we are
Dairy Australia is the national services body for the dairy industry. Our role is to help farmers adapt to a changing operating environment, and achieve a profitable, sustainable dairy industry. We act as the ‘investment arm’ of the industry, investing in projects that can’t be done efficiently by individual farmers or companies.
Dairy Australia returns a $3 benefit to farmers for every $1 levy dollar raised.
- BDA Group (agricultural investment analysts)
“Every investment decision is made for the ultimate benefit of levy payers. Benefits can take many forms, including higher returns or better regulatory outcomes."
- Ian Halliday, Managing Director, Dairy Australia
Our annual funding is a combination of levy, government and leveraged funds:
- $34 million – Dairy Services Levy, paid by farmers based on milk production
- $19 million – the Government supports dairy by matching payments for eligible R&D
- Dairy Australia also attracts funding at project level from state governments, universities, research organisations and other dairy support organisations: $20-30 million annually.
To achieve its core business objectives, Dairy Australia annually develops and reviews a set of strategic priorities to guide investment. Learn more
A whole of supply chain approach
The dairy supply chain is highly interdependent. Each sector - from farming to processing and exporting – relies on the other to generate business. A key role for Dairy Australia is investing across the supply chain to facilitate profitable partnerships. Learn more