Investment and the Australian dairy industry
The dairy industry continues to be one of Australia’s most important agricultural industries, generating $13 billion across the whole supply chain. Australian dairy employs approximately 39,000 people directly - on dairy farms and in manufacturing.
The dairy farm investment guide
In 2014 Dairy Australia launched a comprehensive guide for farmers and investors interested in emerging opportunities in the growing sector. Investment and the Australian dairy industry is available free for download, updated with figures from 2015:
About the guide:
This guide covers Australia’s dairy producing regions, production systems, case study investment models and the industry’s financial performance.
As the industry-owned national services body, we have developed this resource as a platform to help inform further work and analysis in this area.
The purpose of this guide:
- Allow farmers and potential investors to understand the broad range of topics and challenges.
- Help our dairy farmers with information about a range of investment models.
Highlights of the Dairy Farm Investment Forum, 2014
Australian dairy investment
Globally, Australian dairy currently:
- Ranks fourth in total dairy trade volumes and holds a 7 per cent share.
- Exports are valued at around $2.7 billion each year.
- Exports over 40% of national milk production.
Australia’s key export markets are:
- South East Asia, and
- Middle East
Why invest in dairy:
Capital investment in the dairy sector can increase efficiency and productive capacity and contribute to incomes, infrastructure and employment.
The future of dairy depends on building a sustainable industry vision through investment across the dairy supply chain,
Advantages of the Australian dairy industry in a global context:
- Focused on sustainability to ensure we will profitably grow our supply of dairy product to export markets.
- Boasts the most flexible farming systems to adapt to the variable climate – our farmers operate on pasture-based systems with supplementary feeding providing a more consistent supply of high quality milk.
- Australia’s dairy food safety record is second to none.
- Renowned for developing innovative processes and product options for manufacturers as well as new technology and systems for farmers.