Policy support for improving animal health and welfare
Protect industry reputation and sustainability by managing risks associated with animal health, biosecurity and animal welfare
3 year plan focus
- Develop evidence-based policy positions that promote the industry’s credibility for good Animal Welfare management and minimising adverse community reactions to reduce compliance and industry burden.
- Enhance biosecurity measures on dairy farms and industry preparedness for emergency animal diseases.
- Continued liaison with key stakeholder groups and opinion leaders to reinforce industry support activities in key policy areas.
- Policy development and Regulatory support: Includes assisting the farms to have practices that comply with National Standards:
- Banning of tail docking, National Animal Welfare Standard for Cattle will legislate current Code of Practice.
- Management of the phase-out of routine calving Induction.
- Calf management and electronic vendor traceability to ensure calves are treated humanely all along the supply chain.