People are the key to success in the dairy industry. Dairy Australia’s The People in Dairy program is designed to assist dairy farmers with building the people part of their business.
The People in Dairy program has developed online resources for dairyfarmers and their advisers to help make managing people issues easier. The site addresses the key questions relating to people management:
- Work-life balance
- Attracting, keeping and developing people
- Exposure to risk – legal, OHS, insurances, recording systems
- Future of you and your people
- People productivity
The Live Library on the website provides information and resources for getting the best outcomes from people on your dairy farm. The library has seven modules:
- A People Approach. Learn how to integrate a people perspective to enhance your business decisions. Don’t know where to start is a handy interactive tool to help you identify the people tasks you are doing well and the areas that need attention and will quickly link you to the appropriate resources.
- Farm Policies & Systems. Help people understand how and why things are done and meet your legal requirements. This module includes a number of handy tools and templates.
- Recruitment. Recruit well for happy and productive people, low staff turnover, and a more profitable farm. Includes templates to build position descriptions for many farming roles.
- Engagement & Reward. Set up arrangements to engage and reward people that match their expectations and meet your legal requirements. Includes information on sharefarming.
- Individual Performance. Develop the potential of the individuals on your farm and boost their productivity and enthusiasm. Topics include performance appraisals, mentoring, managing under-performance, reward and recognition, skills development and retention strategies.
- Working Together. Build an effective team who can respond to unexpected situations, pull together and deliver results. Includes advice on rostering, leadership, setting team goals, managing conflict and effective communication.
- Planning for the Future. Plan careers, succession and business continuity to achieve the future everyone wants. Includes information on leasing a farm.
The People in Dairy program also runs various training and research projects, including:
- People GPS – a four day course for dairyfarmers that has been developed in conjunction with the NCDE.
- Diploma of Human Resources Management (Dairy) – developed by the NCDE for advisers who support farmers with their people issues
- Various projects to build the industry’s ability to attract and retain people – Cows Create Careers for secondary school students, In2Dairy to create a pathway for new entrants to the industry
- Various research projects – Retention of people in dairyfarming – what is working and why? The Valuing People Project is researching the effect of good people management on farm business success.