Dairy Australia heifer management programs have been tailored to farmers wanting to create a balance that will have positive outcomes not just for farm outputs, but also animal health and welfare.
Heifers on Target discussion groups
Well grown heifers are more likely to realise their full potential for milk production and recover their rearing costs earlier. Industry data shows that many farms would benefit from better heifer rearing practices.
If you are interested in learning more about getting your heifers on target, Dairy Australia provides Heifers on Target workshops.
Contact your RDP to register your interest in attending.
Heifers on Target feed plan
On most farms, heifers need high quality supplements for at least 6 months of the year, so having a feed plan for your heifers should be a high priority. The Heifers on Target is a downloadable guide outlining the benefits of having well-grown heifers reared on good nutritional management and monitoring.
Heifers on Target Guide to growing more productive heifers (PDF, 867KB)
Heifers on Target calculator
Use our online Heifers on Target tools to:
- Check if your heifers are likely to reach their target weights
- Estimate the extra production if your heifers reach 85% of mature cow production
- Work out the impact of losing heifers early from your herd
- Calculate growth rates required to achieve target heifer weights
- Check whether your heifers' diet is likely to achieve the optimal growth rates
- Produce a target weight chart for your own heifers
Outsourcing heifer rearing?
If you're thinking about outsourcing your heifer rearing, make sure that both parties are clear about their expectations and responsibilities by documenting these in a contract.
Sample heifer rearing contract (PDF, 353KB)
For more information on calf and heifer management, read pages 31-51 of the InCalf book 2nd edition.