Dairy Self Assessment Tool
The Dairy Self-Assessment Tool (DairySAT) is available online.
DairySAT is an environmental self-assessment and action planning tool for Australian dairy farmers. It covers 10 key topic areas: Soils, Fertilisers, Effluent Management, Irrigation, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Biodiversity, Energy and Water in the Dairy, Pests and Weeds, Chemicals, and Farm Waste.
DairySAT enables farmers to:
- understand the environmental issues facing dairy farming
- benchmark on-farm environmental management practices with industry best practice
- identify the most critical environmental management practices on their farm
- develop action plans to address the identified practices
- access further information to understand environmental issues and improve practices on farm.
DairySAT has 3 main components:
- Optional short checklist designed to help farmers identify priorities quickly.
- Detailed self-assessment tool to benchmark on farm practices with industry standards.
- Action planning tool including a list of key resources to help farmers think through what they can do to improve their practices.
DairySAT, along with other industry NRM tools and resources, is available on the Dairying for Tomorrow website: http://www.dairyingfortomorrow.com.au
To directly log into DairySAT please visit: http://www.dairysat.com.au
The initial concept of DairySAT came from Gippsland dairy farmers in the early 2000s who recognised that they had to be proactive in addressing environmental issues. Since then it has been further developed based on input from farmers, industry consultant and technical experts across Australia. DairySAT underwent a complete technical and functional review in 2013 and the upgraded web version was released in 2014.
DairySAT does not give you the answers. It is designed to help you: identify problems, assess where you are in relation to the rest of the industry and provide you with the resources to answer your questions.