The People in Dairy
People are the key to success on dairy farms. If you bring employees and family with you in developing and running a dairy farm, the business is most likely to provide wealth and work-life balance and have the capacity to grow (if you want it to).
Dairy Australia's The People in Dairy website is designed to assist dairy farmers with building the people part of their business.
It provides a variety of resources and tools to help dairy farmers attract, retain and develop their people in a central, online location.
In addition to employment information, The People in Dairy also provides some great ideas and examples of processes, systems, tools and resources on a range of topics that can be applied during different phases of a dairy business including:
- Attracting, retaining and developing people
- Case studies
- Farm safety
- Farm policies and systems
- Share farming
- Planning for the future: Stepping Stones (career planning), Stepping Up and Stepping Back (succession and transition)
- Working together: building teams, setting goals, effective communication
The website provides over 400 downloadable templates and resources directly to dairy farmers and their advisors that can be easily customised to their business.
Dairy farmers and their advisors can subscribe to People Matters for regular employment and people updates via email.
Visit The People in Dairy
Employment Starter Kit initiative (ESKi)
The Employment Starter Kit initiative (ESKi) provides dairy farmers and dairy farm advisors with easy access to information, templates and documents needed to employ someone.
The ESKI breaks down legal and employer requirements into key areas, explaining how to employ someone, recruitment, payroll, leave, Individual Flexibility Agreements (IFAs), termination, safety and the Pastoral Award in plain English.
The ESKi contains practical tips, checklists and templates in one convenient place, which can be easily adapted to suit individual dairy farms.
It is available online and dairy farmers can also order a folder copy.
Visit the ESKi
Local Programs and Support
Dairy Australia also provides a range of programs with a focus on employment and people management through our local Regional Development Programs (RDPs). These include:
- Unpacking the ESKi / Employment Basics - a one day workshop covering the latest developments in the key areas of employment and staff management to ensure compliance on-farm. Farmers receive an ESKi folder and are taken through the key templates and processes to employ people on their farm.
- People GPS - a four day course to assist dairy farmers with recruiting, retaining and developing people on their dairy farm.
- Diploma of Human Resources Management (Dairy) - provides dairy farmers or advisors working with dairy farmers with the skills and qualification to increase profitability through a more efficient and productive workforce, to comply with legal requirements, and to have low business risk around people.
- Dairy Sage - assists people from across the dairy industry to establish and formalise meaningful and rewarding mentoring partnerships.
- Stepping Up, Stepping Back - workshops which explore transition, succession and the mechanics of options such as share farming and leasing for owners and share farmers, looking to step up their involvement. Stepping Back assists farmers who want to reduce or cease their role in active farming to navigate their options.
- Cows Create Careers - Farm Module (secondary school students) - an innovative Dairy Australia and Regional Development Program delivered across 22 dairying regions in Australia. It provides a platform to introduce students to the Australian dairy industry through creating awareness and promoting careers in the industry, including dairy farm pathways.
Each Regional Development Program provides local support and access to Dairy Australia programs and resources - contact your RDP for more information.