Investment and the Australian dairy industry
- The dairy industry continues to be one of Australia's most important agricultural industries, with a farmgate production value of $4.4 billion.
- Australian dairy employs approximately 46,200 people directly – on dairy farms and in manufacturing.
- Dairy Australia has published a comprehensive guide for farmers and investors.
Learn about the range of programs and opportunities Dairy Australia invests in on your behalf across the supply chain and how they align with our three strategic objectives: profitable dairy farms, capable people, and a trusted dairy industry.
Continued investment from a range of sources is vital to ensure that the Australian dairy industry continues to enhance its contribution to incomes, infrastructure and employment and can capture the opportunities that exist for its participants.
Australian dairy investment
Globally, Australian dairy currently:
- Ranks fourth in total dairy trade volumes with a 6% share.
- Exports 35% of national milk production, at a value of $3.2 billion each year.
Australia's key export markets are:
- South East Asia.
Why invest in dairy?
Capital investment in the dairy sector can increase efficiency and production capacity and contribute to incomes, infrastructure and employment.
The future of dairy depends on building a sustainable industry vision through investment across the dairy supply chain, particularly on-farm.
Advantages of the Australian dairy industry in a global context:
- Focus on sustainability to ensure profitable growth of supply of dairy product to export markets.
- Most flexible farming systems to adapt to variable climates farmers operate on pasture-based systems with supplementary feeding providing a more consistent supply of high quality milk.
- Dairy food safety record is second to none.
- Renowned for developing innovative processes and product options for manufacturers and new technology and systems for farmers.