Read hay statistics and data about the Darling Downs region.
It was another dry week in the Darling Downs with no rainfall recorded.
- The prevailing hot, dry and windy conditions have really dried the soil and summer crops in the region are failing. There is rain forecast for the region and this could save some of these crops.
- Demand while still strong in the region has eased. Hay continues to be carted into the region from all across the eastern states.
- Lucerne prices have eased this week.
- Cereal hay: +/-0 ($450 to $550/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Lucerne hay: -50 ($500 to $600/t). Prices have eased this week.
- Straw: +/-0 ($250 to $300/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Pasture hay: +/-0 ($250 to $350/t) Prices remain steady this week.
- Please note unless stated otherwise, prices are per tonne, delivered locally. The price range indicated is for feeds of varying quality with the price range generally indicative of quality of feed. We recommend feed testing and viewing of fodder before purchase to be sure of the quality of feed.
Change in price is the change since the last report. Hay prices are delivered, GST exclusive, based on shedded hay without weather damage, of good quality and colour. It should be noted there is a wide variation in quality for hay, so prices are indicative for a mid-range product.
This report has been commissioned by Dairy Australia to provide an independent and timely assessment of grain and hay markets in each dairying region. It should be remembered that actual prices may vary for quality or other reasons. Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this report, to the fullest extent permitted by Australian law Dairy Australia disclaims all liability for any inadvertent errors and for any losses or damages stemming from reliance upon its content. Dairy Australia recommends that all persons seek independent advice and, where appropriate, advice from a qualified adviser, before making any decisions about changes to business strategy.