Read hay statistics and data about the Gippsland region.
Change in price is the change since the last report. Hay quoted is sourced and delivered locally, GST exclusive unless stated otherwise. It should be noted that local prices quoted may not be the cheapest available, sourcing it from another region may be more affordable, and buyers are encouraged to evaluate all options. Prices are indicative to a mid-range shedded product, and based on the best indication of market value at the time of reporting. It should be noted there is a wide variation in quality of hay, prices for a mid-range product will not reflect the weighted average of trade. Prices will naturally vary based on the product quantity and quality, buyer/seller relationship and the size of the trade.
Rain fell this week in Gippsland, but it was patchy
- Silage continues to be made in the south but for some it is still too wet. East Gippsland is dry and there will be very little feed produced in this part of the region.
- Demand is quiet in Gippsland. Many farmers in the region are building up their reserves and making feed for themselves and not to sell.
- Hay prices quoted are for hay sourced from outside the region.
- It has been reported that there is vetch being delivered to the area from $400 - 420/t.
- Cereal hay prices have eased this week.
- Cereal hay: -50 ($330 to $370/t). Prices have eased this week.
- Lucerne hay: +/-0 ($550 to $650/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Straw: +/-0 ($220 to $260/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Pasture hay: +/-0 ($440 to $560/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Please note unless stated otherwise, prices are per tonne, sourced and delivered locally. The price range indicated is for feeds of varying quality with the price range generally indicative of quality of feed. We recommend feed testing and viewing of fodder before purchase to be sure of the quality of feed.
This report has been commissioned by Dairy Australia to provide an independent and timely assessment of grain and hay markets in each dairying region. It should be remembered that actual prices may vary for quality or other reasons. Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this report, to the fullest extent permitted by Australian law Dairy Australia disclaims all liability for any inadvertent errors and for any losses or damages stemming from reliance upon its content. Dairy Australia recommends that all persons seek independent advice and, where appropriate, advice from a qualified adviser, before making any decisions about changes to business strategy.