Read hay statistics and data about the North Coast New South Wales region.
Change in price is the change since the last report. Hay quoted is sourced locally, delivered locally, GST exclusive. It should be noted that local prices quoted may not be the cheapest available, sourcing it from another region may be more affordable, and buyers are encouraged to evaluate all options. Prices are indicative to a mid-range shedded product, and based on the best indication of market value at the time of reporting. It should be noted there is a wide variation in quality of hay, prices for a mid-range product will not reflect the weighted average of trade. Prices will naturally vary based on the product quantity and quality, buyer/seller relationship and the size of the trade.
Scattered rain fell on north coast NSW with Lismore recording 3mm, Grafton 5mm, Coffs Harbour 7mm and Glen Innes none.
- Rains have not wet the soil and evaporated, north coast NSW remains dry. The little summer crops that were planted are not looking good.
- Demand is high and supply is limited. Hay is being carted into the region largely from Victoria but also parts of NSW and South Australia.
- Cereal and pasture hay prices have firmed this week.
- Cereal hay: +70 ($400 to $500/t). Prices have firmed this week.
- Lucerne hay: +/-0 ($500 to $750/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Straw: +/-0 ($250 to $350/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Pasture hay: +50 ($300 to $350/t). Prices have firmed this week.
- Please note unless stated otherwise, prices are per tonne, delivered and sourced locally. The price range indicated is for feeds of varying quality with the price range generally indicative of quality of feed. We recommend feed testing and viewing of fodder before purchase to be sure of the quality of feed.
- The Government continues to offer subsidies for transport of fodder, moving livestock and water infrastructure to support eligible farmers in NSW affected by drought. This can be backdated to 1st January 2018. For more information and to apply please visit https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/climate-and-emergancies/droughthub
This report has been commissioned by Dairy Australia to provide an independent and timely assessment of grain and hay markets in each dairying region. It should be remembered that actual prices may vary for quality or other reasons. Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this report, to the fullest extent permitted by Australian law Dairy Australia disclaims all liability for any inadvertent errors and for any losses or damages stemming from reliance upon its content. Dairy Australia recommends that all persons seek independent advice and, where appropriate, advice from a qualified adviser, before making any decisions about changes to business strategy.